alice-teacher Getting started with Alice

André Gustavo Schaeffer andre_schaeffer at yahoo.com.br
Tue Mar 5 10:00:01 EST 2013

Hi Suzanne.
Im also starting studies with Alice, but Im not from educational areas. I
was graduated in Computer Science.
So, the first thing I hardly look for is the way to install the software, so
we feel secure about using it anyway, in any LAB with Linux, Windows, etc.
It's very easy to make Alice to run in any operating system cause it's built
in Java. Thats why I prefer downloading always the Java version.
Then, I will write to you the only problems I faced with Alice version 3
running on Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.20):

1. after clicking the alice3.sh shotcut, nothing happens
    >> inside the alice3.sh, if you want to access through a shortcut, you
must say to the system to change its position the directory on which alice
is installed.
    >> for example, I just wrote ' cd /home/usuario/alice ' in the first
line of the alice3.sh script to solve the problem

2. java is not installed (but it was!)

      >> depending on the version of your Java and depending on the way it
was installed, the first Java command in the alice3.sh script, must execute
the 'java' program from the correct place. In my case, java wasn't 'in the
path', as we use to say, then I just changed the 'java' command (java -ea
......) inside alice3.sh to the path I knew was java, i.e.
/home/andre/jre1.6.0_31/bin/java -ea ......
It worked!

3. the only one problem a faced running the windows version (of course, on
Windows Operating System):

    >> with Alice 3.1, the scene screen wasn't being shown. Then, I found a
link wrote by the Alice Team saying to update the graphics card driver.
    >> It worked! I was using an Intel Graphic Card on a Windows 8 with
Intel i7 processor.

Anyway, always put the exactly error message and information about your
system when asking for help on some subject about computers programs.
:)
Hope this help!

André Gustavo Schaeffer
andre_schaeffer at yahoo.com.br