alice-teacher Take Picture in Alice 2.3

terry morley terrymorley2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 16:15:08 EST 2013

Does it work in the older version?
Thank you

Terry Morley
Technology Teacher and Coordinator
Mater Dei Catholic School
493 E. Main Street
Lansdale, PA 19446
215-368-0995

________________________________
 From: Don Slater <dslater at andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Alice Teachers <alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:39 PM
Subject: alice-teacher Take Picture in Alice 2.3

The "Take Picture" button in the latest release of Alice 2.3 has been removed.

By way of explanation, this was not an arbitrary decision.  The problem is that the built-in "Take a Picture" in Alice 2
was created using Direct X for the PC.  Therefore, it doesn't work for Mac users and recent updates of Direct X cause
problems on newer systems (Vista, Windows 7, and now Windows 8).

Therefore, we have had a increasing number of complaints and that has led to disabling the feature and asking
people to simply use whatever screen capture they have on their computer. See the following links:

For Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Take-a-screen-capture-print-screen

For OS X
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturemac/ht/macscreenshot.htm