alice-teacher transitioning from Alice v2 to something to prep for the AP test

Sandy Graham sandyg at gvtc.com
Mon Jan 7 18:56:52 EST 2013

I need to figure out how to transition from having completed the Alice book
using version 2 to prepping for the AP exam.  HELP!!!  The exam appears to
be "real" java.  I am teaching at a homeschool class day - at a church using
our personal laptops and meager personal budgets.  I don't know what program
to use to run java (outside the Alice platform and that is affordable and
will run in a regular Windows OS).  Also, though I've learned java in the
Alice platform well and have taught it for several years, I have never even
programmed in actual java.  I know I can figure it out with a good text book
and proper software, but is there a book that would transition us into
straight java while prepping for the AP exam?  Does anyone use any of the
actual AP prep books that can be found at Barnes and Nobles?  I think at
some point using version 3 should be part of this solution, but there are no
books to go with that right now and then I still need to AP prep part.  I
think it would be better to switch straight to AP prep and learning "real"
java right now, but tell me if you agree.

I know everyone is very busy returning from the holidays.  I only have until
the beginning of May to get the students prepared for the exam.  Any help
you can give would be VERY much appreciated!!!  Please feel free to call me
if that would work better for you.  I've asked this question before and have
never some away knowing what to do.  I guess I need my hand held through
this.  Thank you!!!

Your sister in Christ,

Sandy Graham

(210) 413-6505