alice-teacher Fwd: not able to download alice 3.1.x

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 30 19:45:39 EDT 2012

I am not sure that I understand your question, so please let me know if you need more information…

It turns out that you can use the download you received for linux (the Universal .zip) on Windows as well…

See these notes from http://help.alice.org/w/page/44139867/Download%20and%20Install%20FAQ#what_version

Universal zip
The preferred method for installation on multiple platforms and/or on networked machines is with the Universal zip. To download the Universal zip, click on the Universal zip Installer link. The Universal zip works on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. The Universal zip automatically activates a download of the entire Alice 3.1 system. On broadband connections, this process typically takes 10 – 15 minutes, depending on the speed of the connection. On dial-up connections, this process typically takes 1 ½ - 2 hours, depending on the speed of the connection. After the download has completed, install by unzipping the downloaded file using a compression software application such as WinZip or 7-zip. The Universal zip file should extract to a folder named Alice 3. NOTE: For Windows Vista or Windows 7, unzip to the desktop and then drag to the Program Files folder on the C:\ drive. This will avoid pop-up messages regarding administrator permissions.

Advantages:
Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux
Once downloaded, does not require an internet connection to get started
Disadvantages
Cannot be upgraded using the installer, must download new version
Does not automatically add an icon to your desktop (you can add a shortcut instead)
Large file size for initial download

Later,
Don Slater