alice-teacher Posting Video

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 24 11:28:55 EDT 2012

There is a file menu option for exporting an Alice world to video. This option works well if there are no sound clips in the animation. Unfortunately with sound, our exporter does not recognize that an animation may be over, because the background music may still be playing. For example, if I have a 45 second animation, but I am using as background music a 3 minute and 15 second sound clip, then our exporter will want to record all 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

We are working on resolving this problem at the present time.

Two possible solutions:
Clip the sound file in an audio editor, such as Audacity, so that it does not play any longer than the animation. In the example above, the sound clip should be trimmed to 45 seconds to correspond to the 45 second length of the animation.
Use screen capture software, such as Camtasia or Jing, to capture the playback of the Alice animation on your computer screen, not using the Alice export File command.

Later,
Don Slater