alice-teacher Rubrics--what do you use for grading Alice projects?

Scherff, Elisabeth, Ms., CIV, OSD/DoDEA-Americas Elisabeth.Scherff at am.dodea.edu
Wed Oct 24 08:25:03 EDT 2012

Thanks for sharing, Ms./Dr. Peluso!
I really like your work. Having students tell you what features they will be using is a great idea.

I'm attaching a sample of what I ask 6th graders to do.

After we've done Alice tutorials, and lessons on design (developing stories, creating storyboards), the students create their own story for a project grade.  Sometimes we do peer evaluations as we're sharing our stories in class.

The attachments are a PowerPoint presentation I give describing the project; a short sheet for the design phase; and the two different rubrics.  (If we have time in the term, we create larger, colorful storyboards we post in the room.)

Thanks again for sharing!
Elisabeth Scherff

From: alice-teachers-bounces+elisabeth.scherff=am.dodea.edu at lists.andrew.cmu.edu [mailto:alice-teachers-bounces+elisabeth.scherff=am.dodea.edu at lists.andrew.cmu.edu] On Behalf Of EILEEN PELUSO
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:41 AM
To: Alice educators
Subject: Re: alice-teacher Rubrics--what do you use for grading Alice projects?

I've attached a couple of rubrics.  The first one is the sort of rubric I use for weekly projects.  I've also included my notes for that project and the two handouts that the students receive, so you can see how they fit together.  On their weekly assignments, they have a list of features, all of which they are to include in their worlds.

For their final project, the students get two weeks to work on it before presenting it during finals week.  It differs from the weekly projects because they have a list of features that they can choose from to include.  There are actually two rubrics involved.  The first one attached (Final Rubric.docx) is an overall rubric that includes some points for their work during the first two weeks, a writing assignment, their presentation, and they actually get 5 points for completing the other rubric.  That rubric is on the last page of the final project description Final Project.docx.  They fill it out to give me an idea of which features they've chosen to include, so that I'm sure to spot them and give them appropriate credit.