alice-teacher lesson help?

NANCY A. DUGRE ndugre at hwrsd.org
Thu Mar 29 07:09:21 EDT 2012

I have been teaching Alice for over four years to mixed ability students in grades 9-12 in block scheduling (4x4 - 85 minutes) . My strongest recommendation in the first year is to use Learning to Program with Alice - Dann, Cooper and Pausch along with the website available with the text.  Several universities have posted some amazing tutorials and ideas there as well.

  I have also supplemented with Gaddis' Alice book.  His book has some great step-by-step tutorials.  After a first year of using these materials that are both thorough and excellent guides, I began customizing my curriculum.   I should note that this is a first year course in my program that includes Visual Basic, AppInventor and AP Java.

  I strongly emphasize proper program design, well-written efficient code and good programming techniques.  If your course is based solely on independent projects with none of the elements I mentioned then you will discover to some extent that students in whose ability is below an honors/AP level will struggle.

All the exercises that both text authors offer are project based.  Don't reinvent the wheel before you tried it out yourself with a class. This year I implmented projects that were cooperative...4 students assigned to design and complete one application.  Having owned my own software development company, this assignment was heavily involved but most reflected a real-world industry environment.   The students had over a month to complete the project, exterior to normal course assignments.

Regards,
Nancy A. Dugre
Edline Coordinator
Technology Department - Computer Science / IT Teacher
Minnechaug Regional High School
621 Main Street Wilbraham, MA 01095
(413) 596-9011 ext. 385
(413) 596-8907 fax