alice-teacher Alice 2.2 and Windows 7 Pro

Rich Lewis rlewis at shmuenster.com
Mon Mar 26 12:08:02 EDT 2012

 Fellow educators,

I thought I'd send this out just incase it helps anyone.  Our lab computers use Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.  For some reason Alice 2.2 was hanging on start-up, or if it finished loading, the mouse would forever be a whirling circle and Alice would be sluggish to respond if even at all.  Oddly not all machines had this problem, however installing Alice 2.2b over the old 2.2 seemed to fix the problem-- so far.

We have 24 workstations in the lab, and I used the following script along with windows Scheduler on our Windows 2008 R2 server to push it out.  I did it this way since I've never had much luck installing software via Group Policy directly.

This script deletes the old Alice directory, and copies the new one down from the server to the local C drive.  Then it logs it in a text file with the computer name as the filename so you have some verification that it installed.  You'll have to replace the server and folder names to whatever is appropriate for your setting of course.  Perhaps this will help some people.  If not, then just disregard the message.

===================
@echo off
REM Begin Script
REM Alice 2.2b Installation Script
REM by Rich Lewis 2012 Mar 20 for Sacred Heart Catholic School

REM Do not install if the new folder already exists
if exist C:\Alice2.2b EXIT

REM Variables
SET FOLDERNAME=Alice2.2b
SET SOURCEFOLDER=\\SH-DC1\install\Alice2.2b
SET DESTFOLDER=C:\Alice2.2b
SET LOGFOLDER=\\SH-DC1\install\InstallLogs

REM Remove old Alice Folder on local machine
rmdir C:\ALICE2~1.2 /S /Q
echo %DATE% %TIME% Removed old Alice Folder on Target Machine %COMPUTERNAME% >>%LOGFOLDER%\%COMPUTERNAME%.txt

REM Copy Alice2.2b folder to local machine
echo %DATE% %TIME% Began copying %FOLDERNAME% from %SOURCEFOLDER% to %DESTFOLDER% >>%LOGFOLDER%\%COMPUTERNAME%.txt
%SystemRoot%\system32\xcopy.exe %SOURCEFOLDER% %DESTFOLDER% /Y /E /I /S
echo %DATE% %TIME% Finished copying %FOLDERNAME% from %SOURCEFOLDER% to %DESTFOLDER% >>%LOGFOLDER%\%COMPUTERNAME%.txt

REM end of script

Rich Lewis
Sacred Heart Catholic School
Technology Director/Teacher