alice-teacher Courses taught in Alice

Daryl Detrick DetrickD at warrenhills.org
Fri Mar 16 10:01:56 EDT 2012

Another teacher and I introduced an animation class last year.  The students take half a year with me using Alice (programming) and half a year with him using 3D Studio Max (design).  Either class could run on its own, but that was how the administration was willing to approve it.

In my opinion, the most important part of teaching a computer science class is the logical thinking and problem solving learned.  I found that my intro to computer science class (in Java) was too challenging for a large percentage of the student populations.  So by introducing a half year class in Alice, any student in the school can have the opportunity to improve their problem solving and logical thinking skills in a fun and interesting way.  My Alice class (Animation) has a high percentage of freshman and special ed students.   So far it has been great.

Daryl Detrick
Warren Hills Regional HS