alice-teacher Finch + Alice

Lance Allen lanceallen.allen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:53:19 EST 2012

This is VERY interesting.

I'm very interested in using the Finch in my classes, however . . . . would
you be able to provide a screen-capture of how your students are using the
Finch in class? Are they placing it on the floor?

I am having problems visualizing using the Finch in a classroom setting.

Thank you,
Lance Allen

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Tom Lauwers <tlauwers at finchrobot.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With the blessing of Don and Wanda, we have created Finch Dreams, a
> program for controlling the Finch robot, based heavily on Alice 2.2.
> Finch Dreams lets you do everything you can do with Alice 2.2, and
> adds support for the Finch, a robot designed at CMU for CS education.
> The Finch is a $99 USB-tethered and powered robot with light sensors,
> obstacle sensors, a temperature sensor, and a 3-axis accelerometer; it
> was initially designed for introductory CS education at the high
> school and college level and has support for Java, Python, VB, C++,
> Scala, Processing, Matlab, and soon Logo and Javascript.
>
> With Finch Dreams you can write programs that control the Finch and
> also that use the Finch's sensors to control animations in Finch
> Dreams (an example program in Finch Dreams uses the Finch's
> accelerometer to control a bowling ball, sort of like a Wii-mote,
> another uses the Finch's light sensors to control the amount of light
> in the scene).
>
> We currently have a stable version working under Windows, and will
> shortly be launching a beta version for the Mac. You can download and
> run it (even without a Finch) at:
> http://www.finchrobot.com/downloads#finchdreams
>
> You can also check out the tutorial at:
>
> http://www.finchrobot.com/Creating%2C%20Compiling%2C%20and%20Running%20Programs%20for%20Finch/finch-dreams-tutorial
>
> I would strongly recommend checking out the second video tutorial to
> see more about how you can control objects in Alice with Finch:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o28PhEXHGik
>
> We're very excited about Finch Dreams - in addition to making the
> Finch programmable by 6th-8th graders, we also think that it adds
> compelling functionality to Alice to be able to use a physical device
> to interact with the animations and worlds created by students.
>
> Tom Lauwers
> Chief Roboticist, BirdBrain Technologies LLC

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced!

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.*