alice-teacher Question about Strange Behavior -- Alice 2.2

robert durtschi robert_durtschi at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 14:29:59 EDT 2012

When I download student files under Windows 7 from the school grading system (georgiaview) it tries to rename the extension to .zip. I am able to name it back to A2C, after going through a couple of steps and doing a save as.  Out of curiosity I unzipped one of the files and looked at the content.  It consisted of 3 or 4 files: elementCountHint.txt, elementData.xml, script.py  and sometimes a preview image in .png format.

The text file has a number in it. The .xml (eXtended Markup Language) file looks like the Java code and the python file (.py), well... since I don't have python on this computer I can't see the content and windows 7 (apparently) unlike XP doesn't have an "open with" option with which I could open it with notepad.

You can rename a file in Windows XP and Windows 7 by pressing the F2 key.  Windows 7 tries to protect you from changing the extension from .zip to .a2c, but you Can override it if you insist.  Alice 2.2 (03-01-2012) works with the renamed file just fine as long as you don't remove any of the files in the compressed file.

Bob Durtschi
GCSU