alice-teacher Screen goes dark when "Say" command used?

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 24 10:14:14 EST 2012

It is primarily a platform issue, although I am interested in the replies that it does not seem to be universally true.

When Alice was first created, it was created for the PC platform, and the rendering engine for the runtime window was implemented with DirectX. When the Mac version of Alice 2 was created, the Mac did not  support DirectX, and so it was implemented with OpenGL.

There is not a direct correlation between DirectX calls and OpenGL calls, and so you will see artifacts such as the darkening of the background when the speech and thought bubbles appear, but also when billboards with some transparency elements (such as the fairy wings, the cloud effect) appear in a black box, because OpenGL deals with the alpha channel differently than DirectX.

We have been wrestling with this for some time, and short of rewriting the Alice 2 PC version so that it is also OpenGL we have not found a satisfactory solution.

Alice 3 is using OpenGL for all platforms.