alice-teacher Alice Summer workshops at Duke University

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 15 21:14:31 EST 2012

There will be a two-week Beginner Alice Workshop in June 2012
and a one-week followup Alice workshop in July 2012 for teachers
who took one of our previous workshops before 2012.
For the followup workshop, preference is given to those teachers
who took our July 2011 two-week workshop. There likely will be a
few seats for teachers currently using Alice that took one of our
other workshops. Applications for both are now available on our
website.

Please forward this to teachers at your school who may be interested
in the beginner Alice workshop.

TWO-WEEK BEGINNER ALICE WORKSHOP - JUNE 2012 at Duke University

Middle school and high school teachers, apply now for a two-week summer
workshop to learn how to create Alice Virtual Worlds and to integrate them
into many disciplines. This is a free workshop with funds for lodging and a
small stipend. Continuing education credits are also provided. Preference
is given to NC teachers, though we always include a few teachers from
other states.

The two-week workshop will be held June 18-22 and June 25-29 at Duke
University. A one-week followup workshop will be held around the same time
in June 2013.

Applications are now available on our website.  The deadline to apply is
February 10, 2012. Applications will be considered after that date if space
is available.

The online application is available here:

 http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/web/alice/aliceInSchools

The workshop is for middle and high school teachers of all disciplines to
learn programming using the Alice programming environment and to determine
how to integrate Alice into their discipline. Examples of integration
include 1) creating Alice worlds for presentations, 2) creating interactive
Alice worlds for students to use to learn concepts, 3) for students to
create an Alice world for a project, or 4) for students to use Alice for
problem solving.  In addition to Alice instruction, teachers will have time
to experiment with concepts learned and time to develop lesson plans
integrating Alice into their discipline.

Here are examples how others have used Alice in different disciplines.  For
language arts, students have created book reports or animations of stories
or poems they have written.  For history, a student created a story about a
historical bridge.  For spanish, a student created an interactive cooking
demo in which ingredients to make banana bread are placed on a table, and
students must follow the spanish instructions to move the ingredients in
the correct order into the mixing bowl.  For science a teacher created a
story about how hot spot volcanoes are formed. For music, a student created
an interactive quiz in which you hear instrument sounds and you must enter
in the name of the instrument. For math an animation was created to show
how variables are used in algebra. Also for math students can use Alice for
problem solving.

This workshop will most likely use Alice Version 2 which is very stable for
K-12 students. Alice 3 will be demoed. A decision on the version will be
made at a later date.

Sample materials including tutorials on Alice, sample worlds and videos of
Alice worlds for different disciplines are available at the web site
address above.