alice-teacher Object checking opacity of a vehicle

Findley, Scott SFindley at sd43.bc.ca
Thu Jan 12 08:52:23 EST 2012

Question from a student who is trying to figure out a way to have an object check the opacity of a current object vehicle. Any suggestions?

I have a problem. I have 5 helicopters in my alice program and I have a missile attached to each (their vehicle is set to one of the helecopters). I have all of my misiles in a list and I want to be able to treat the current object's vehicle in a for all in order list as a regular object (Ideally setting a variable to item_from_missile_list.vehicle) and then I want to be able to check the vehicle's opacity (I want to do this so I can check whether or not the helicopter is visible or "alive" and perform an action accordingly). However, Alice won't let me drop the item_from_missile_list.vehicle into an opacity function (ie opacity = randomObject.opacity), and I'm not really sure why its doing this. Do any of you have any idea why this is, how to fix it or any potential workarounds?

Mr. Scott Findley
sfindley at sd43.bc.ca<https://webmail.sd43.bc.ca/owa/redir.aspx?C=0a9bf7b1630b4554891428589166e563&URL=mailto%3asfindley%40sd43.bc.ca>
Gleneagle Secondary School http://gleneagle.org<https://webmail.sd43.bc.ca/owa/redir.aspx?C=0a9bf7b1630b4554891428589166e563&URL=http%3a%2f%2fgleneagle.org%2f>
Mr. Findley's Homeroom Site<http://teachers.sd43.bc.ca/sfindley/default.aspx>    Twitter @ rsfindley<http://twitter.com/rsfindley>    Mr. Findley's Blog @ Posterous<http://sfindley.posterous.com/>    Writing 12 Posterous Site<http://writing12.posterous.com/>
1195 Lansdowne Drive, Coquitlam, BC V3B 7Y8  604.464.5793 / 604.464.5796 (F)
While email is repeatedly checked, I typically reserve an hour daily for correspondence. Should you need a more immediate reply, please flag your message as urgent. Any emails received without a clear indication of the sender will receive no response.

This e-mail (including attachments, if any) may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Unless absolutely necessary, please do not print this email for environmental reasons.