alice-teacher Orient to specific axis

Benjamin Small B.Small at amsacs.org
Mon Sep 19 07:50:59 EDT 2011

By “orient to”, if you mean the Alice method “orient to”, then I can think of two ways:

First, you could do it in two steps by calling “jet orient to carrier” and then turning the jet by 1/4 turn to orient to the correct axis.  Note: if you try to put those in a “do together”, it won’t work because the “orient to” method finishes when the objects are oriented to each other, negating any turns.

The other way is to use a phantom object.  Add an “axes” object (from the shapes library), move it to the center of the carrier, and turn it invisible (isShowing = False).  If you orient the axes object to the direction you’ll want to orient your jet, then you can call “jet orient to axes” and you’ll get the desired effect.  Just make sure the axes has the carrier as a vehicle so they move together.

Now, if by “orient to”, you mean “line up with and face”, then that’s a bit more involved.

Hope this helps!

--Ben Small

Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School
6th Grade Computer Science
b.small at amsacs.org