alice-teacher rubric

Kristin Bedell kdbedell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 06:57:05 EDT 2011

I use this and Scratch quite a bit with elementary students.  The kids love using Alice to tell stories.  We've also used it to share research about state symbols (4th grade) and Mars (4&5).  I work with gifted kids, and have found that second semester 3rd grade is the lowest age band of kids I've seen to be generally successful with Alice in the restraints of a classroom environment, and that kids younger do better with Scratch.  (However, my personal 7-year-old loves to play around in Alice and is pretty good with it, so, given your situation, you may have better success.)
I have not built games with kids to completion, mainly due to the constraints of my job.  Feel free to contact me off-list at Kristin.bedell AT orange.k12.nc.us if you want to talk more about Alice and young children.

Sent from my iPod