alice-teacher Fwd: switch off say bubble when event occurs

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 24 17:45:46 EST 2011

The control of say bubbles has always been a problem in Alice… It is a function of the length of the string to be displayed, the size of the runtime window, the resolution of the runtime world, the position and orientation of the speaking object…

One way to control the display is to (seems to be my solution for everything as of late ;-) ) Create and position an invisible object(s) in the world that will actually execute the say command in a position that is reasonable… That may help with the overlap, but does not really answer your real question.

The only way I can think of to do it is to put the say in a while loop that displays the message for a very short duration (i.e. .1 seconds; you may haveto adjust this to avoid flickering). The while loop will be controlled by a variable that is triggered by the other mouse-click.

I am sure others in the community will have better ideas.

Let me know if you have any questions.