alice-teacher Running Alice on older PCs

Jack Chen jack at cjc.org
Tue Nov 15 20:38:50 EST 2011

Edward,

It sounds like you have inadequate hardware.  I am successfully running
Alice 2.2 using 7 year old computers (Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz equivalents)
with Windows XP (Service Pack 3)....I also have a few Dells in the mix.
  I make sure that all my lab PCs have 1 GB of RAM and "low-end"
discrete video cards.  With this setup, the computers are OK with the
"slow and steady" version of Alice 2.2.

In my experience, the computers absolutely need the 1GB of RAM and the
discrete video cards in Windows XP.  The built-in video capabilities of
typical computer motherboards is not adequate (Especially with older
Dells).  Also, Dells also tend to come to school minimally
equipped...sometimes with only 256MB of RAM under Windows XP.

My recommendation is to upgrade your hardware as best as you can...if
you need RAM, then perhaps you can cannibalize memory sticks from other
computers.  That is, use the RAM from two computers in one machine....I
don't have any advice about video cards but the cheapest $15-$20 card
that you can buy today will work just fine.

All the best,
Jack Chen