alice-teacher Alice talking

Eric Skogen eskogen at hbcguam.net
Thu May 26 18:40:33 EDT 2011

Sure you can.  You need to use the "play sound" method and record (or download) someone speaking.  My 10th graders (mostly 15 year olds) did it very well.  I encouraged them to make deals like "you record for mine, I'll record for yours" and they worked it out pretty well by themselves.  You could, of course, dictate that as the teacher, but I liked having them work it out on their own.

They really loved when I played all the worlds for the class.  They complained when their own voice came up, but I suspect most of those were simply owning the voice and drawing attention to it.

As a side note, I encouraged my students to synchronize speech bubbles with the recording.  It wasn't that difficult and makes it much easier to grade while providing a nice opportunity to mention designing to accommodate disabilities.

If you need help figuring out the mechanics of it, contact me off list, or Google it.  A couple of people have posted some very insightful comments on the limitations and capabilities of sounds in Alice.