alice-teacher CS4HS 2011 at Carnegie Mellon University

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 11 12:04:24 EDT 2011

The School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh
is hosting its sixth annual CS4HS summer workshop for high school
teachers, running July 6 - July 8, 2011. The workshop is open to any high
school teacher that teaches a computing course. Teachers are responsible
for travel costs to Pittsburgh, but lodging, meals and materials are
covered for accepted participants. Act 48 credit is available for
Pennsylvania teachers, and all teachers who complete the workshop will
receive a certificate that they can use to apply for local professional
education credit.

At CS4HS at Carnegie Mellon, we will:
* use CS Unplugged to teach CS principles without computers
* explore Visual Logic to teach algorithmic thinking without programming
* examine the Exploring Computer Science high school course curriculum
 available from CSTA
* program some cool robots
* build a simple cell phone app
* learn about what computers can and cannot compute
* run a CS roadshow to increase awareness of computing as a field of study
and a potential career path

Additionally, we plan to visit the brand new Google office at Bakery
Square in Pittsburgh to hear from Google engineers about life in a
computing company and what high school students should do to prepare for a
career in computing. We'll have several keynote speakers who will discuss
how computing has been used in other domains to help solve very difficult
problems. And we'll have several activities that will allow teachers to
work together to form a community that they can lean on during the
subsequent school year.

Registration for this workshop requires a short application form and a
deposit of $50 (refunded upon completion of the workshop). For more
information, please visit:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/cs4hs/summer11/

Registration is open through June 3, 2011.

If you have any questions, feel free to send email to tcortina at cs.cmu.edu
for more information.

Regards,
Tom Cortina