alice-teacher Alice Institute at CMU

EILEEN PELUSO pelusoem at lycoming.edu
Wed Mar 30 09:08:24 EDT 2011

I attended one of these workshops a few years ago, and I cannot say
enough about how much this experience gave me the knowledge and
confidence to bring Alice to the classroom!  It is well worth the
investment (and a fun time too).

>>> On 3/30/2011 at 9:02 AM, in message
<1A23E579-C8DA-4699-AEBF-82FB6D2DE378 at andrew.cmu.edu>, Don Slater
<dslater at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

Carnegie Mellon will host the Alice Institute for interested high
school and college instructors. This Institute will consist of two
workshops. The first workshop will be focused on Alice 2.2 and will be
held June 19 - June 24. Plan on arriving on Sunday, June 19, and
departing Friday afternoon, June 24. This workshop will explore the
Alice 2.2 programming environment as an effective and engaging tool to
introduce students from middle school through college level to
programming and Computer Science, perhaps in preparation for a CS 1
course.

The second workshop will be focused on Alice 3, and will be held June
26 - July 1. Plan on arriving on Sunday, June 26, and departing Friday
afternoon, July 1. This workshop will explore the Alice 3 programming
environment as an effective and engaging tool for students in a Computer
Science 1 or Advanced Placement course in Java.

Working with nationally recognized experts in Alice, a tool developed
at Carnegie Mellon, teachers in both workshops will develop an
understanding of Alice, and teaching methods suitable for presenting
Alice in their own unique environment. The workshop is appropriate for
any instructor who is considering or currently using Alice in a pre-CS1
or CS1 course.

You should note that there is a registration fee of $300, plus your
housing and meals. More details and registration page can be found at:

https://web.campusservices.cmu.edu/conferences/registration.taf?ID=2011alice

Let me know if you have any questions.

Donald Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances
confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the
life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common
hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau