alice-teacher Relese

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 21 11:41:30 EDT 2011

Yes… When Alice 3 comes out of beta, it will still not be in a form that we could recommend it as a replacement for Alice 2.2. We believe that work will need to be done on the UI, providing a more Alice 2.2 experience, before that can happen.

Perhaps it might be helpful to think of Alice 3 as not being the new version of Alice, replacing version Alice 2.2, but as the next level of Alice. If Alice 2.2 is targeting a user base for students in an introductory program that does not require being able to write Java code at the end of the course, then Alice 3 is currently targeting an audience in which the students will be expected to create Java, non-Alice programs, at the end of the course.

I hope that this helps.

Don Slater