alice-teacher Printing Chinese characters in Alice

Richard Guenther guenther_richard at shsfalcons.com
Wed Oct 27 17:39:39 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Myra J. Deister <mjdeister at fjuhsd.k12.ca.us
> wrote:

> I have a student that is trying to use the say method to display Chinese
> characters.  When he inputs the agrument it looks like Chinese characters,
> but when he runs the program and it is displayed in the World, it does not.
>  Any suggestions?

Hi Myra,

One way around this would be to use images of the characters imported as
billboards (File --> Make Billboard).  Once imported, a billboard is just
like any other Alice object.  I usually resize them larger and then they can
be used very effectively.  In fact, we even do a project where we make 2D
sprites and unleash them into the 3D Alice world.  It's pretty fun.

Last year we used GIMP for making png format though balloons, etc.

Richard Guenther
Computer Science
Skyline High School
600 E Mtn Ave.