alice-teacher Grounds in Alice

RYAN NUTT RYAN.NUTT at cfisd.net
Wed Oct 27 12:34:13 EDT 2010

That does work.  We've done that with our kids, but for another reason.
We keep an .a2c file for all the grounds available on the server so that
when a student accidentally deletes the ground and isn't able to undo
they can import it back in without having to redo anything else in the
world.

- Ryan

>>> Don Slater <dslater at andrew.cmu.edu> 10/27/2010 11:07 AM >>>
Here is something to try… Assume you want to add sandy ground to a
world with water ground

1) Open up a new world with the sandy ground
2) In the object tree, right-click on ground, and choose "rename" from
the drop down menu.
3) Name your ground something appropriate, such as "sandyGround"
4) In the object tree, right-click on ground, and choose "Save object…"
from the drop down menu.
5) Name this saved object something appropriate "SandyGround.a2c", and
save it
6) Close the world you saved the sandy ground from, and open a new
world with the water ground
7) From the file menu, select "Import", and select your saved
"SandyGround.a2c"
8) Go into the scene editor and position your grounds appropriately.

I cannot guarantee that their will not be any unintended side effects,
as the ground is a fundamental element of an Alice world, but I do
believe that this will work.

I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Later,

Donald Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370

The true object of all human life is play.
--- G. K. Chesterton