alice-teacher What is the status of the Linux version of Alice?

Richard Guenther guenther_richard at shsfalcons.com
Tue Oct 12 14:35:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Stephen Hartley
<hartley at elvis.rowan.edu>wrote:

> What is the status of the Linux version of Alice?

For Alice 3.0 it appears they are developing it for all platforms from the
start.  For 2.x, I have had to use the Linux version, which is (2.0).

You will notice differences between the platforms.  I seem to recall Don
Slater listing them awhile back on the APCS list.  Since Alice is a Java
application, this really turns into the question of how various Linux
distributions handle Java.  I have never had much luck using the open Java
alternatives, so I always get the official Java runtime.  For the latest
version of Ubuntu, that means adding the "ubuntu partners" option in
Synaptic, installing Java, and then making sure you are then NOT using the
open Java alternatives.  A google search for "java on ubuntu" usually gets
me the details I need.

Let me know if you need more help on this,
Richard

--

Richard Guenther
Computer Science