alice-teacher graphics

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 12 11:49:56 EDT 2010

If you are talking about a 2-D image, then Alice can import any image file in the following formats (bmp, jpg, jpeg, png, gif, tif, tiff). Create your image and save it in one of the listed formats, and in Alice, go to the File menu, select Make Billboard… and click OK. This 2D image is treated as an Alice object, and it has methods, functions, and properties, as any other Alice project.

Let me point you at an excellent repository of Alice worlds, tutorials, and videos, put together by Dr. Susan Rodger at Duke University, specifically targeting K-12. The following link takes you to the tutorials page of this site. You will find examples and tutorials on creating and using billboards (2D images.)

	http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice09/tutorials.php

The link to the main page of this site:

	http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/

If you are interested in creating 3D models, that is a much more complex process. The following link to the "3D Models and Alice" page at aliceprogramming.net contains information on creating your own models.

Donald Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370

The true object of all human life is play.
--- G. K. Chesterton