alice-teacher New to Alice for Middle School

EILEEN PELUSO pelusoem at lycoming.edu
Sun Nov 21 18:53:15 EST 2010

Hi Christine,
Welcome to the Alice community!  I've used Alice with your age group
but for shorter periods of time.  I've done a 2-week instructional unit
after which the teachers (who had graciously welcomed me into their
classrooms) followed with a third week where students created their own
stories/games.  Materials for that can be found at the first link below.
 I've also done some summer enrichment programs and those materials can
be found at the links below that.
www.lycoming.edu/~pelusoem/Sabbatical2010
www.lycoming.edu/~pelusoem/SummerOutreach/BU2009.htm
www.lycoming.edu/~pelusoem/SummerOutreach/BU2008.htm
www.lycoming.edu/~pelusoem/SumemrOutreach/BU2007.htm
Best wishes!

Hi Don,
Has anyone set up a repository where teachers can donate lesson plans
and projects that they've created, to share with others?
Thanks!

Eileen Peluso
Lycoming College

>>> On 11/21/2010 at 6:35 PM, in message
<36820660-7C18-4B57-87A5-DCA575DE8D15 at andrew.cmu.edu>, Don Slater
<dslater at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

Christine,
As a start, a site that you may wish to check out that would be helpful
would be

http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/

Maintained by Professor Susan Rogers at Duke University, this site has
many great resources in the use of Alice in K-12... You will find a lot
of examples, tutorials and projects here that you may find helpful.

I am sure members of the community will be helpful in describing how
they use Alice in their particular environments.

Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances
confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the
life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common
hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau

On Nov 21, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Tyler, Christine [GR] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just started playing with Alice and would love to hear how anyone
is using it in Middle School.

> I teach science but want to present the idea of a project based
computer science elective so anything you have done that would work for
my age group would be extremely helpful.