alice-teacher Python vs. Alice

William Stanard wstanard at palmertrinity.org
Wed Dec 29 18:18:10 EST 2010

Karen,
I teach both Python and Alice in high school. I tried to use Python as a beginning course, but I found that for many kids, it was too abstract and not enough fun (unless you are a would-be programmer, in which case you'll go for any language offered including Cobal). Alice, on the other hand, from the least abstract 7th and 8th graders all the way through pretty savvy 12th graders (again, these are not would-be programmers, but they are kids who have to take a programming course in order to graduate) is a natural. You can do so much with it... and the kids will follow you anywhere. Once Alice 3.0 is out of Beta, I will use it for my high school classes, while continuing to use 2.2 in the middle school classes. You can make Alice just as complex or simple as you like. Great stuff!
Regards,
Bill

Wm. W. Stanard
Chair, Academic Computing
Member, English Department
Palmer Trinity School
Miami, FL 33157
(305) 969-4239

PS Contact me off-line if you want to go further in the discussion...

There is no box...