alice-teacher Python vs. Alice

Arana Fireheart arana.fireheart at newbury.edu
Wed Dec 29 15:52:24 EST 2010

Karen,

	 I teach Alice AND Python in the Intro to CS at my college. I find that Alice is a great introduction to programming concepts without the drudgery of syntax. It is also fun enough to keep the students engaged and working on their assignments. I move from there into Python (a language I wish I could use more and more) to start introducing the typing, syntax and 'compilation' model  using PyQT for GUI implementation (CS2 class).

	Our Data structures and CS3 course using Java are taught by another faculty member. So we use all three 'languages'. Alice doesn't require any graphics concepts (aside from which way is up, down, left, right, in and out! ;-). That is one of the reasons I chose it. It enables students to get right to the problem solving and programming  while bypassing the syntax part altogether.

	I transition through Python, because it provides a 'gentler' version of syntax, but enforces indentation and gets students used to typing and 'compiling' code. Since it is weakly typed it doesn't really address variable definition at all, which is another reason I like using it for an intro course. It allow me to 'stage' the introduction of concepts without keeping them from writing code until we get through that material.

	I don't think that your college students will see Alice as 'remedial' it is real programming, without the real headaches! You can get as complex as you would like and cover all of the topics a CS1 course needs to cover and more. If there are other questions you would like to ask, let me know. I'd be glad to help you out...

Arana Fireheart
Professor Computer Science