alice-teacher Examples of student Projects 12/7/2010

Marcus Twyford twyford_m at motherofmercy.org
Tue Dec 7 12:24:52 EST 2010

Wow - what a great response and infectious email chain!!

Jim Melia - would love to collaborate with you on this.

Though I love Alice and the attention it brings to computer science, I am trying to incorporate it into a part of a larger intro course - that includes procedural coding
using Pascal, and the new Microsoft contribution - Small Basic, to build a more encompassing approach to understanding computer science.

I realize that you can do so much with Alice, but given the need for variety or differentiation of instruction - sometimes students grasp concepts is they get the same material through 2,3, or more different pathways.

I would love to build out a more sound 15week course that includes examples of student work - and supports the existing curriculum - but targetted specifically at Women in Technology - as I teach a 9th grade intro to comp course at an all girls school.

This is the first year of running this and I am trying to incorporate project based learning as well.

Any ideas/thoughts you have would be appreciated.

thanks
Marcus

Marcus Twyford
Faculty, Technology