alice-teacher staying on surface

James Vanderhyde jvanderhyde at benedictine.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:44:19 EST 2010

I don't think there's an easy way to do this. I also had a student trying to make a character jump onto a rock with an uneven surface, and it was difficult to get right. Alice gives you easy access to the bounding box--the height, width, and depth, so flat surfaces are easy. If the surface is something simple like a sphere, you may be able to make up some math equations to get the points you want. There are some good examples around (fish swimming around an island) for 2D movement, but otherwise tracing a path on an uneven surface is a nontrivial problem.

One workaround is to set up dummy objects along the surface and have your characters move from dummy to dummy. You may be able to make it look reasonable. Anyone have any other ideas?

James
--
Dr. James Vanderhyde
Math and Computer Science