[6555-penn] SMART Card Reader - Main Entrance to 6555 Penn Avenue

Joshua Frederick joshuaf at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 26 12:35:35 EDT 2015

All,

This new card reader will read the chip which is embedded within your ID card.  To have the reader register your card you will need to hold the card within about 1-2 inches in front of the numeric keypad on the device, as is skillfully demonstrated by our very own Gregor Steindl below.  If the card is read successfully the light on the top will turn green and the door will unlock.  If you have any issues with the Smart Card functionality this device also has a magnetic stripe reader that you can swipe your card through to gain entry as well.

This is a test installation for the new technology in our card to see if we can use these new readers for our Smart Cards in a production environment.  Please let me know if you have any problems using the Smart Card technology and I'll be happy to work with you to resolve the issue.  Thank you all for your assistance with this and your patience with any issues that might arise as a result of this trial install.

Josh F.