[ACTION REQUESTED] Academic Calendar 2021-22 Update #3

James Gallicchio jgallicc at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat May 15 21:52:59 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I was way over-optimistic when I said I'd have an update for two weekends
ago, so I deeply apologize for this being *much* later than intended. Two
things today:

*1) Share your thoughts on this proposal for Spring 2022:*

I listed the important bits of the current calendar (full one posted here
<https://www.cmu.edu/hub/calendar/docs/2122-academic-calendar.pdf>),
with proposed
modifications in red:

 *... Fall semester ...*
*Dec 3:* Last day of class
*Dec 6-14:* Finals week (makeup finals on Dec 14)
*Dec 17:* Grades due

*... Winter Break ...*

*Jan 10:* First day of class            *(currently, Jan 18)*
*Jan 17:* MLK Day, no classes
*Mar 1-3:* Mini-3 reading days      *(currently, just Mar 1)*
*Mar 4:* No classes; Mini-3 finals
*... Spring break, etc. ...*

*TL;DR:* Move the start of Spring semester earlier by a week. The semester
would be *identical to the Spring 2020 calendar*.

*----> **Share your yes/no thoughts on this proposal here*:
https://forms.gle/U4jSCb1dEuCzJxdRA <https://forms.gle/U4jSCb1dEuCzJxdRA>
*<----*

If you have questions about the proposal, please *email me* or *check the
FAQ* below.

*2) Email Provost Garrett with your thoughts on the current calendar for
2021-22.*

I emailed the provost over a week ago to set up a meeting but have only
gotten basic acknowledgement from the provost (email chain attached
below).  If the provost has a better idea of how many students are
concerned about next year's calendar, hopefully this can be given higher
priority.

Basic template:

   - Mention "2021-22 Academic Calendar" or similar in the subject
   - Say what you like/don't like about the calendar
      - Length of the semesters?
      - Length of winter break?
      - Lack of mid-semester fall break?
   - Include any arguments you like from what you wrote on the survey
   (edit/view your response here <https://forms.gle/eUZvCSvZvFV2vB4C8>).

Again, if you have questions or even just want a quick proofread, please
email me!

Anyways, that's all for now. Good luck to those still finishing up exams,
and I hope everyone can get a sorely needed break this week!

- James

*FAQ Related to this Proposal*

   - *Who will you be proposing this to?*
      - The provost, Jim Garrett, who is in charge of the academic calendar
      (the Calendar Innovation Committee that produced the current calendar is
      within the provost's office).
      - *Would this affect when Spring Break / the end of Spring Semester
   are?*
   - No and no. It just adds a week at the beginning of the semester. 5
      more teaching days for full semester classes, 3 more for Mini-3s.
   - *I really like this proposal. What should I do?*
      - Fill out that form with "Yes." Then, share this with your friends;
      continue to bring attention to the calendar.  The longer students press,
      the more likely change is to happen.
      - *I really don't like this proposal. What should I do?*
      - Fill out the form with "No" and please don't hesitate to email me
      about your concerns. I really want to hear from any students who
this would
      negatively impact.

*General FAQ*

   - *Does the university recognize how bad this semester has been as a
   result of breaking up Spring Break?*
      - No. I have been trying to communicate the overwhelmingly negative
      effect of the Provost's decision on students' health and
learning, though I
      don't know how well the message has been received. Feel free to email
      the Provost <provost at andrew.cmu.edu> about how this decision has
      affected your experience this semester.
   - *Can we move the start of Fall 2021 earlier?*
      - No- summer semester was pushed back, to be up against the fall
      semester. Also, a good deal of students have agreed to
internships through
      the last week of Summer Break.
   - *Can we move the end of Fall 2021 later?*
   - Yes, but... if we add a week at the end, the semester will end very
      late, which affects some employees of the university (like advisors) much
      more than students, since there is a lot of work after the semester ends.
      - We would also only have ~3 full weeks of break, which makes it
      difficult for students who live far away from Pittsburgh to see their
      family and have a sufficient break.
      - The original survey has a comfortable majority of students (across
      all the demographic data we collected) in favor of a 2-3 week
winter break
      in exchange for 15 week semesters, but this is a much more difficult
      decision to make.
      - *What happened to the compressed finals week idea?*
      - It's still on the table for Fall 2021. I've been waiting on a
      certain employee of the university to discuss it with other employees of
      the university, but I do not think that has been happening. Will keep you
      all updated.
   - *What classes should I take next semester?*
      - Good question. I have no idea either. Registration week will be fun!

--
*James Gallicchio*
BS Candidate | Computer Science
jamesgallicchio at gmail.com