Academic Calendar Update #2

James Gallicchio jgallicc at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 28 16:30:00 EDT 2021

Hi again everyone,

I'm back to give another update (or more accurately a non-update) on the
feedback you all have shared on the 2021-22 Academic Calendar.*  I have not
gotten anywhere in discussion with the university.*  As you all know, the
longer this drags on without movement, the less likely the calendar is to
change, and I am quickly becoming impatient.

I don't want to be the place where your feedback came to die. *So here's
what you can do to help:*

   - *Talk to your professors.* Before you fill out FCEs, ask your
   professors to reflect on this semester:
   - *What went well?*
      - *What went wrong?*
      - *Are they making plans now for how to better handle another short
      semester?*
   Take their answers into consideration when you fill out FCEs :-)

   - *Share the original form with your friends*, especially those outside
   SCS and CIT:
   https://forms.gle/eUZvCSvZvFV2vB4C8
   We have nearly 400 responses, but only around 100 from outside SCS and
   CIT students. Let's try to get better representation across all schools.

And here are some action items to hold me accountable for:

   - By this weekend, I plan to have *another update* for you all. It will
   either contain a substantive progress update, *OR* will ask you all to
   send your thoughts to a certain administrator's inbox.  Hoping for the
   former, of course.

   - I am continuing to *collect broader student input*. The form will be
   featured on this Friday's issue of *The Piper*, and I will look for
   other highly visible places to share it.

Lastly, I want to share some of your comments on the length of the academic
semester that I found particularly helpful:

*"Fewer weeks inevitably means less material, and I for one want to learn
as much as I possibly can."*

*"It's just disappointing to hear that a professor has to cut out material
that I could be learning if we simply we had one more week of classes."*

*"If changed to 14 weeks, you have to REQUIRE (not just recommend, require)
courses to restructure to reduce the amount of overall content they are
teaching. We cannot have courses simply add to their already high workloads
by attempting to cram 15 weeks of material into 14 weeks."*

*"I don't want my classes to go on longer. I want to travel and see my
family and friends. I want to take long breaks or long internships. I want
to be able to decide to do other stuff and take on personal projects. It's
not like the argument is for or against a long or short semester. A week is
a week is a week. You're not losing out on anything significant by
shortening it; but you are giving a lot of flexibility. [...] An extra week
over break means I can do an internship and still have enough time to
travel back home and see my parents this year."*

*"Many people are arguing that we can cut down on the week's worth of
'fluff' that many courses have. However, I anticipate that we'll somehow
still end up with a week of 'fluff' if we cut down to 14 weeks. We *will*
lose a week of content by shortening the semester by a week."*

*"[A shorter semester] reduces student's access to organizations. As a
student org president, it will be very challenging with a shorter semester
to finish our projects, especially if students are also overworked due to
the shorter semester already. Students will get less time with friends,
social orgs, and the clubs they belong to."*

Thank you all again for sharing your voices, and for staying invested in
this. As always, don't hesitate to email me if you have comments,
questions, or concerns.

Best,
James Gallicchio

--
SCS Senator, Class of 2023
Academic Affairs Committee

P.S.  For those of you that were not around for the first update, I've
included it below -- it has some basic summary statistics which may be
interesting to you.