[SCA-Dance] Are you on Facebook?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Nov 23 00:20:59 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 03:55:57AM +0000, Monica Cellio wrote:

> I replied to this message by using the "reply all" feature of my mail
> program.  I'm having trouble understanding the problem.

A lot of the issue here is that people get frustrated about the list
no matter where the problem is.

The problem with Yahoo subscribers having trouble sending list
postings is actually Yahoo's fault, but Yahoo Mail users (and everyone
else noticing Yahoo senders in their spam folders) generally don't
blame Yahoo for it.

Likewise, the overwhelming majority of email users have no idea how to
respond to the list if it does not default to reply-to-list. You and I
are both old timers on the Internet; I know which keys to hit to reply
to the list and to reply to only the sender. You do, too. Guess what?
This is 2014, and we're the 1%.

In any case, I would appreciate it if people would be nicer to Flip
about this. All my mailing lists died years ago, and I only recently
realized that these issues played a big role in it. sca-dance survived
much longer, but Facebook is an inexorable force. It's not clear that
Flip changing the mailing list configuration is anything other than
re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

-- Gregory, Internet veteran and failed mailing-list host