[SCA-Dance] Trenchmore music?

Charlene C charlene281 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 13:25:56 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> Bowing in Trenchmore?  OK, we definitely have regional variation.  I
> think I saw bowing in the Lovelace version.  The version I know is in
> the Terp booklet, along the lines of
> - double up and back x 2
> - cast to bottom and back to top
> - unders-and-overs
> - reel

"Trenchmore" appears to be a type of dance (like waltz, polka) rather
than a particular dance. The version in the Terp book is the one I've
seen most often in the SCA. We danced it at Shadowlands' event a
couple weeks ago.

When we have a live band, they usually play "Tomorrow the Fox will
Come to Town." I'm not sure which version of Playford first used this
tune for the dance. In Ansteorra, when using a recording, this is the
one we use (Shazam identified it as The Crickard Brothers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2mtfnwhtZo

Since you aren't dancing to the phrase anyway, the music really
doesn't matter much for this dance.

--Perronnelle