[SCA-Dance] The Boone Companion: "Goe abut" (Tim McDaniel)

Josef Berger harpolekare at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:49:18 EST 2013

> We have no music, so at Dafydd's suggestion, I'm
> using a repeated version of the Broadside Band's Boone Companion (a
> major-key mutation of Fine Companion), in which the chorus is 16+16
> beats.

You might try a "boone companion" ballad tune, too:

You gallants, and you swag'ring blades,
Give eare unto my ditty
I am a boone companion, knowne
In country, towne, and city
source: A broadside "There's nothing to be had without money" (Roxburghe
Collection I, p.400-401), dated c.1601-1640.
http://ebba.english.ucsb.edu/ballad/30275/xml

For the melody, the same broadside mentions:
"To a new Northerne tune, or The Mother beguil'd the Daughter."

This tune is given in Chappell's "Popular mUsic of the Olden Time, a
Collection of Ancient Songs, Ballads and Dance Tunes Illustrative of the
National Music of England Part One", page 357.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/popular-music-olden-times-1/popular-music-of-olden-times1%20-%200457.htm
It can also be found in Pills to purge Melancholy Vol.IV page 116.

While Playford's "Fine Companion" is twice 8 bars + twice 8 bars in 6/8,
this tune, as printed by Chappell, has 8+8 bars in 4/4. Just add repeats to
the A and B part and it might work just as well.

J.