[SCA-Dance] I need a word

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Feb 25 12:24:44 EST 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, D. Peters <dpeters at panix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, Tim McDaniel wrote:
>
>> Is there a word for "the little adjustments that people experienced in
>> a dance will make for functional reasons to make it flow better"?
>
> "Kludges"?

Mmmmm ... a "kludge" in computers, at least, has negative connotations
-- I always want to get rid of kludges.

But in dance, the little adjustments can make me feel good.

Not always.  There's that 3-couple ECD (blanking on the name) where,
in the chorus, each head couple in turn goes to the bottom (C1 between
C2 and then outside C3).  The other two couples have to shuffle
awkwardly sideways like penguins towards the presence to keep the
dance in the same county where it started, but it never looks graceful
or makes me feel good.

But they can be combined with style flourishes, and even if not, I
usually don't feel bad about it -- indeed, I often feel better because
I've made it flow well.

Dammit Delinquent
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com