[SCA-Dance] Timing of the seguito spezzato in Il Ballarino

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Aug 3 20:20:36 EDT 2013

Something that was on my mind sometimes while at Pennsic is the
question of whether we're doing any close approximation of the seguito
spezzato. You see, the way I read Il Ballarino (the source of many of
our dances with this seguito in them), the actions match the beats as
follows:

Beat 1: Step on left foot.

Beginning of beat 2: Place right foot by left heel and raise both
heels and the body.

Ending of beat 2: Body and left heel come down again.

And on beat 3, one begins the second seguito spezzato.

So my understanding is that if you were to count this as six quick
beats (with stress on 1 and 4), the right foot would be placed on 4,
and one would come down onto the full left foot on 6. That doesn't
seem to be how we usually do it. Is there some evidence against this
version?

--
Henry/Alex