[SCA-Dance] Specific Pennsic Teaching Needs

Benjamin Pung ben at houseofpung.net
Mon Apr 23 01:43:59 EDT 2012

Hello Again Dancers!

It has been pointed out to me that perhaps I should send out some more specific requests regarding classes for this Pennsic. So here are some requests, in no particular order:

1: Experienced Teachers
There are many of you who have taught classes in the past, and we rely on you to be the core of our teaching staff. If you are tired of teaching the same old classes, change it up and teach new material. Better yet, find someone with less experience to co-teach with you and help them learn the ropes. I guarantee that will make your old classes much more exciting.

2: New Teachers
If you've never taught at Pennsic before, this is a great time to start! You don't have to teach anything fancy your first time out; the greatest need we have is for entry-level dances. Teaching at Pennsic is a unique experience, and one I highly recommend. Classes are usually well attended, musicians often appear from nowhere to play music for you, and the best dancers in the Knowne World are generally on hand to serve as ringers or to bail you out of a tight spot. Pick your favorite dance and share it!

3: 15th Century Italian
For the past few years, Mistress Judith has been providing a whole track of excellent classes on this subject on her own. Sadly, she will not be at the War this year, so this is a great opportunity to bring out that ballo or bassedanza you've been itching to teach.

4: Beginners' Classes
For the past several years we have run tracks of beginner-level classes at specific times in the morning and afternoon. We will be doing this again this year, so if you would like to help out with a specific style of dance let me know. This is not to say that we do not also want other beginner-level classes. Starting people on the road to dance is how we get more people to dance with, and to teach in their turn in later years. The more of this type of class we can get, the better. It's an excellent way for a new teacher to get their feet wet.

5: Ball Prep Classes
During War Week we provide refresher classes in the afternoon in preparation for the evening revels. As these classes are often large, the more teachers we have on hand for them, the easier it will be to manage several sets at once. Master Gregory has kindly offered to help out with these, but the more, the merrier!

The dance community at Pennsic is what has kept me coming back to War for the past 15+ years. I feel certain that we will be able to provide the same excellent experience this year as in years past, but only if we have people willing to help make it happen. If you just want to teach one class, that's great! If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me. Here's the registration link one more time:

http://www.pennsicuniversity.org/index.php

Thanks!

--Lorenzo