[SCA-Dance] On Chirintana

Brian Sidlauskas bsidlauskas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:40:15 EDT 2011

Hi Judith,

I should clarify that I didn't intend to imply that there's any problem
with the length or the music, quality of the music or choreography for
Chirintana . . . Gaita's recording is in fact of very high musical
quality and the steps fit just fine.  I was just making the observation
that some dancers seems to have trouble hearing how the steps fit the
music, particularly with respect to the continenze. I think the issue is
that some people tend to internalize the step grouping as one double
followed by three contineze once the sequence begins to repeat. That
conceptual step grouping is of course not aligned with the musical phrases.

Once the heys begin, I generally see many fewer confused looks.

In any case, it is a delightful dance and one that I do teach from time
to time.

-- Galeran