[SCA-Dance] Powered speakers

sarah scroggie sarah.scroggie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 17:52:54 EDT 2011

I just ran a theatre show from my computer for the first time (see previous
"multiplay" message) and ran into the issue that the head phone jack was
stereo and the input jack was mono ... ( you can tell by the number of lines
on the insert pug (stereo inserts have two black lines and mono inserts have
one)) ...took me a while to figure out why I my sound levels kept getting
messed up so I thought I would pass it on.

     There are a number of possible solutions for this
         1) employ a splitter and have two mono inputs to your amplifier
                      ( I ended up using an external USB sound card with two
1/4 inch outputs)
         2) make sure your (mini) 1/8inch to 1/4inch adapter is also is a
stereo to mono adapter
         3) change the output of your computer to mono

        Emma

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM, <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, Michael L. Squires <mikes at siralan.org> wrote:
> > The usual input is for a microphone ("mic") input and a line level
> > input, usually with XLR for the mic and 1/4" jacks for line level.
> > The Alesis Sumo 300 combines a 4 channel mixer with some digital
> > effects and tone controls, so they can be used as a small PA system.
> > There are inexpensive adaptors which convert 1/4" mono ("TR" to
> > musicians) to the 3.5mm stereo mini phone plug used by consumer
> > equipment.  The Ion Block Rocker is the only one I've seen with RCA
> > jacks and an iPod cradle.
>
> I was going to replace much of the above starting with "line level"
> (the first phrase that lost me) with "blah blah blah Ginger blah blah
> blah Ginger", but I'm afraid that not enough people would remember the
> Far Side cartoon or realize that I was thereby comparing myself with a
> not very bright dog.
> <
> http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/spn_imgs/?action=view&current=blahblah.jpg&newest=1
> >

> I have a laptop.  I have headphones with a small plug and I can plug
> it into a little hole on the side that has a picture of headphones on
> it.  I like the idea of speakers with batteries that could be used
> outside or wherever, and bigger speakers with bass should sound good.
> Could I hook up the little hole with the picture of headphones to one
> of the big boxes that you talked about?  What would I plug into?
>
> I bought some cheap small external speakers and I will try
> them in an indoors practice.  But there are no batteries.
>
> Daniel de Lindocollino, in words as close to one syllable as he can
> manage
> --
> Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com

Sarah Scroggie,
Mother and Theater technician/ set designer

Cell: (519) 217 7274
Home: (519) 940-0047