[SCA-Dance] Laptop music programs?

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 25 20:33:30 EDT 2011

So I got a laptop, and thought to do what I've seen other people do:
load my SCA dance music on it.  Instead of lugging around a binder of
15 CDs, it would be so much more convenient to lug around 11 pounds of
laptop + power brick!  ... Er, well, moving right along ...  [1]

It should be straightforward, but I wanted to make sure there were no
suggestions or gotchas to watch out for.

What programs do people use for storing and playing music on laptops?
My laptop will be dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows.  Just playing with
Ubuntu off an install CD now, it looks like Banshee is pretty
functional ... except it just crashed at the end of Black Nag ...

As for sound, the laptop's built-in speakers are impressively loud,
but I may get external speakers with bass and finer volume control.

Danet de Lincoln

[1] To descend to seriousness, to be a fair comparison you'd have to
consider CDs + boombox versus laptop + brick + speakers.  Plus, a
couple of practices ago, the boom box refused to play both CDs that
had Whirlygig.

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com