[SCA-Dance] Christmas Music

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Tue Nov 16 10:57:42 EST 2010

"Drive the Cold Winter Away" has both a Playford dance and a Christmas
song attached to it, albeit not a terribly familiar one.

If the goal is period, familiar, and danceable, here are a few other
suggestions:

"Good King Wenceslas" is adapted from a period tune would work for any
4/4 16- or 32-bar dance as is, and you could adapt it for a 24-bar
dance if you repeat the last two lines of each verse.

"In Dulci Jubilo" (a.k.a. Good Christian Men Rejoice) is adapted from
a 1328 tune and would work for well for any triple-time 16- or 32-bar
dance, and could be adapted for a 24-bar dance just like Good King
Wenceslas. Some versions of it add an extraneous measures ("News!
News!"), but this version would work:
http://www.christmas-carol-music.org/Lead_Sheets/InDulciJubilo.html

"Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella" is period and sounds nice at a
dancy tempo, but the phrasing makes it a more difficult fit, I think.

-a