[SCA-Dance] War Branle Music tempo question...

Monica Hultin mhultin at mts.net
Sat Mar 13 12:02:28 EST 2010

Just pulled out my Orchesography. (War Bransle is on p. 143 of the Dover
edition)

There is no tempi changed, there is not need.  However, the steps in the
second half are done twice as fast as in the first half if you see how he
assigns them to the notes.  Ie. A double left takes the equivalent of four
semibreves, (the things that look like whole notes), whereas in the second
half, a double left is done in the equivalent of only four minimas, (the
things that look like half notes) or only 2 semibreves, hence this part is
DANCED twice as fast.

 Also because the second half consists mainly of minimas, it may sound
faster.

To speed up the second half, would make the second half ridiculously fast
and difficult, whereas I've always found dancing it as written is certainly
fast and fun enough.

YIS
Monika z Gniezno,