[SCA-Dance] Sca-dance Digest, Vol 53, Issue 5

Niki janeeve2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 20:44:12 EST 2010

This is one of my favorite pictures:

The picture of siding can be found here: http://www.folkscape.org.uk/country.htm.

A History of Dance: Mary Clarke
and Clement Crisp:  Chapter 5 Social Dance. Caption reads: Practised
partners show how similar the style and positions of 16th century couple
dancing are to folk and country dancing today. Hanging swords and
daggers and voluminous skirts appear to pose no problem to this agile
pair. By Virgil Solis the Elder (1514-1562) of Nuremburg, the acclaimed
painter, engraver, etcher and woodcut artist (British Museum)

Later!

Lady Jane Milford

Greetings to all dancers on this list.

I have been wanting to find for some time a picture that I remembered of an adult male and female dancer standing (dancing) side by side.  I don't think that there was any background to this picture at all and I don't need a picture with a background.

I am not an expert on period garb, but it seems they are dressed in French garb.  I think the man had short pants with hose (but that might be my poor memory).  And it could have been a picture of two Italian or even Elizabethan dancers.

What I need is a picture of a male and female dancer.  My persona is Italian Ren and that would be my prefered garb for the dancers in the picture.

Part of me thinks it was the cover (or illustration in) for a Caruso book or something like that.

I once had a file of dance pictures, but have lost that too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your help

THL Jayne Barber
Court Dance Instructor, Barony of al-Barran, Outlands