[SCA-Dance] Belle Qui

Donna lgp477 at up.net
Thu Jun 24 11:43:39 EDT 2010

M'lord,
Thanks for the history.  Ingrid was my first historical dance teacher, back
when I lived in Boston, had heard of the SCA but didn't know how to contact
them.  It's largely due to her kind offices that I have muscle memory and a
frame of reference to teach the Galliard.  Not that I can often get people
around here to do it ;)
Best,
Freydis

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Jane & Mark Waks <waks at comcast.net> wrote:

> Greg Lindahl wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:28:16PM -0500, Iohann se pipere wrote:
> >> My expertise is mostly in music, but I thought that this dance was
> >> created by a SCAdian and merely set to the Renaissance tune "Belle
> >> Qui."
> >
> > Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention that aspect:
> >
> > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Carolingian_Pavane.html
> >
> > That's why we call the dance the "Carolingian Pavane" and not Belle Qui.
>
> Just to clarify from Gregory's slightly terse notes, since some readers
> probably don't know the characters: the dance probably was not written
> by a SCAdian, but was popularized by us.
>
> Ingrid Brainard was one of the serious scholars of renaissance dance,
> who gave Carolingia its start in the field. (She passed away a few years
> ago.) She's responsible for one of the major reconstruction styles of
> early Italian (although the Sparti style has become more dominant in
> recent years), and taught a lot of us at various times.
>
> Baron Patri was a longtime student and friend of hers, as well as one of
> the founders of Carolingia and one of the SCA's first great
> dancemasters. My general understanding is that Ingrid came up with more
> or less this choreography as an example (or possibly for a performance
> of her dance troupe), and it got into the SCA via Patri. As that got
> spread around the Society that example became "the way it's done". This
> happens a lot in SCA dance, and is the usual danger of providing one
> example of a more flexible form.
>
> So "Carolingian Pavane" basically alludes to the fact that this
> choreography spread from Carolingia outward -- we didn't write it, but
> were largely responsible for it getting around...
>
>                                -- Justin

O wonderful, wonderful! And most wonderful wonderful! And yet again
wonderful! And after that out of all whooping. - As You Like It