[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

bfg1 bfgus at verizon.net
Wed Jul 22 19:00:36 EDT 2009

Hamilton, ON was no more difficult (USA customs aside) or expensive than
going anywhere within the USA. For those on the East Coast of the USA,
Europe may be cheaper and less travel time than a trip to some parts of the
USA's west coast. The only kingdom that is at a considerable distance for
the majority of us in the Middle, East, and Ealdormere Kingdoms is Lochac.
So for people in these Kingdoms to put a trip to Canada on the same par as
Lochac doesn't make sense to me. To me, traveling to Canada and Europe is no
different than traveling to somewhere in the USA. The one difference for
Europe that some may be concerned about is handling the different language.
I do not know German, French, or Dutch yet traveling to those areas has not
been a problem because there are so many people in the business', including
taxis, that speak English. I have encountered many kind, helpful, and
patient people on my trips to Europe as opposed to a recent trip within the
USA where some of the hotel staff were downright rude (not that this can't
happen in other countries). My point is that traveling to Europe is no
different whether it be travel time, financial, or getting around transit
systems or towns. Albeit, travel time is very dependent on what part of the
USA you live. I suggest that Europe and especially Canada not be put in a
"them" category. Lochac requires more travel time and expense so I can see
not wanting to have the KWDS there more than 1 out of 4 events ;)

Relative to participation from overseas, Del comes from Lochac to many
events within the USA and Canada. Others traveled with him from Lochac to
the KWDS this year. And the KWDS was better off for having them all there.
Many from the Kingdom of Lochac also travel to Pennsic each year. I wonder
how amused (or upset) the dancers in Drachenwald and Lochac are at the
discussions that are ongoing.

Relative to the ongoing discussion, I hope we can move beyond the "us" vs
"them" location. I suggest the question be directed at who is willing and
has enough volunteers to host it.

Enjoying the dance!

Gus