[SCA-Dance] The Creepy, the rude, and the weird

Monica Hultin mhultin at mts.net
Tue Jul 21 15:48:19 EDT 2009

Stealing, I don't know how common this is, might be a regional thing.

If it's among a group of friends, at dance practice or you own little set
and you're expecting it, it can be fun, Or if the dance is set up with a
stealing set and a non-stealing set.  But otherwise it can be inconsiderate.
Don't go stealing the partner of someone who is new or new to the dance, you
may have just ruined the rest of the dance or dance practice for them.

Stealing in a way that screws up the dance for everyone and gets people
confused is not a lot of fun.

I've seen stealing done in rather elegant and clever ways in Hole in the
Wall, as long as the other members are aware of what's going on and can
recuperate.  I have also seen a whole couple replaced which again led to
confusion as the couple they were dancing with couldn't figure out who they
were dancing with now, and the whole domino effected the whole set.

Don't even bother stealing in Trenchmore, it's too fast and hard enough to
figure out who you are supposed to be swinging with in the Reel part.
Considering how long it takes to be the active couple, it's very annoying to
either suddenly be replaced, or have someone stealing into the middle of the
line and essentially butting into line.

Monika