[SCA-Dance] basse danse tempi

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Nov 21 16:25:59 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:41:08PM +0000, Barbara Webb wrote:

> In particular
> I'd like to know if anyone out there (still?) does French basse danse with
> the musical bars (corresponding to breves in the sources, the duration of
> a double according to the choreographies) arranged as 2+2+2 rather than as
> 3+3, so that the three steps of the double are equal in duration, and the
> pairs of singles must be done 'across' the music (or unevenly?).

The local folks here in the West still do the Burgundian bassadanze
doubles in 2+2+2 style (3 equal steps in a double). They also do Lauro
that way, even though it's Italian. In both cases they do it that way
because of Ingrid Brainard's influence. I'd be interested to hear
about places that *don't* do Lauro or the Burgundians with 3 equal
steps.

We don't dance that many Burgundians at Pennsic, so this isn't
something that's gotten homogenized.

-- Gregory